Lately I have been drinking a TON of different liquids. Maybe its the warmer weather, but lately I have been super thirsty, so I have been experimenting with different ways to stay hydrated. (other than water, because I already drink half my body weight in ounces a day).
After doing my strength training today, I felt a little drained and like my muscles need some TLC, so I whipped up this yummy and humungous sized smoothie to refuel! Complete with 32 grams of plant and nut based protein, 18 grams of healthy fats and 7 grams of fiber, this is sure to please your body as well as your taste buds!
The protein powder I used was a packet I picked up from Earthfare a couple of weeks ago. I used to use whey protein powder, but after reading up on what whey really was, I decided to stick to a rice or plant based protein powder. An old favorite of mine is the Vega protein powders, but I wanted to try something new- so I grabbed a packet of Plant Fusion (if I’m being honest half the reason I picked it was because it tasted like cookies and cream : ) I like trying a packet of something new here and there!
What I love most about this recipe is that it is a template, and can be switched around according to your personal tastes. Enjoy!
- 1 packet or one scoop of protein powder (About 30 grams)
- 1 Tblsp smooth almond butter *
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 2.5 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk *
- Put all ingredients into a blender and serve over ice!
- - You can use any kind of nut butter you prefer, or if you are allergic, try Sun-Butter or Sesame Butter instead
- - Any type of milk will do. You can also do half and half with milk and water if you don't want so many calories- although the almond milk I use only has 30 calories a cup!