It is the middle of February- lets face it. All that we have been living for the past four months is gone. No more holidays, hot cacao, Thanksgiving leftovers and Christmas cookies. People are starting to talk about spring vacation and its time to start thinking about bathing suits… oh man… bathing suits…
While the sun and sand may be on the front of everyone’s mind, it is still woefully cold out (in most places) and its not time to throw out those warm and comforting recipes yet- with a little revision you can still be warm, full and happy!
One of my favorite comfort foods is lasagna (or anything pasta related), but since I don’t eat grain anymore, this needed to change. The entire recipe boasts ONLY vegetables (with some low fat cheese and organic marinara sauce). That’s right- no fattening pasta or high calorie ricotta! That makes this recipe, grain free, gluten free and egg free! (If you really wanted to get creative, you could also use soy cheese to make this dairy free and vegan as well).
- 2 Large Zucchinis
- 3 Medium Carrots
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Bell Pepper (color does not matter)
- 2 Cups of Baby Spinach
- 1 can of mushrooms (you can use fresh too!)
- 1 cup of Marinara Sauce*
- 7 oz Shredded Light Mozzarella**
- 1 tsp Olive Oil***
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- Salt to taste
- 1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- 2) Wash and dry all vegetables. Peel carrots. It is not necessary to peel the zucchini.
- 3) Using a mandolin slicer, slice your zucchini the long way so that you get long 'sheets' of zucchini (which should resemble a lasagna noodle)
- 4) Set out paper towels on an unused surface and line them up. Sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 5-10 min, blot with another paper towel and repeat on the other side. (The salt causes the zucchini to lose moisture. This is an ESSENTIAL step so that you don't end up with lasagna soup : )
- 5) Using a cheese grater, shred your carrots and set aside.
- 6) About this time, put your tsp. of olive oil into a large skillet and heat over medium heat
- 7) Chop onion and bell pepper.
- 8) Add all of your ingredients into the skillet and stir occasionally, allowing the vegetables to cook down a little (about 5-8 minutes). This, again, is to lose some of the moisture. 2 minutes before you intend to pull your vegetables off, add the minced garlic.
- 9) In a 9 x 13 baking dish layer accordingly (or however you want- this recipe isn't super rigid)
- -Assorted Vegetables
- -Sauce... and so on!
- 10) Bake at 350 for about 35 minutes. For the last 2 minutes, I put mine under the broiler to let the cheese get chewy on top.
- *I used Organic Bolognese sauce from Trader Joes that has a cheese and meat base which of course is not vegetarian, you can totally use regular marinara sause though- just choose one that is thicker!
- **Trader Joes makes a crazy low calorie light shredded mozzarella (45 calories an oz.)
- *** I used garlic infused olive oil and loved it!
- -This recipe keeps in the refrigerator covered in tin foil for about a week and makes awesome leftovers! Enjoy!
I hope you all enjoy this super yummy recipe! Make sure to comment below, or tweet/ instagram me a picture if make this recipe! Also, if anyone tries this without the dairy- let me know how it turns out!